Jon

4 - Moria Recon Spiders

Post by Jon »

A portion of an email thread:

How did your Moria exploration go?
Jon E
Jul 16, 2021, 8:53 AM

Questars,

I know you all did well, because your QUESTARS! yay!

So what did you discover?

Dr Zook

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan Engle
Jul 16, 2021, 12:48 PM

From the standpoint of us scholar types what we got were a bunch of loose pages that were scattered around the floor in the Hall of Records. It will take time to sort through all of it and I have a hunch that the longer we give the GM to ponder about it the more we'll get out of it. I'm thinking maybe we could get things like cool clues to hidden treasures or tips about tactics we could use to snuff white dragons.

Dr Zook will definitely be busy wit us since we're basically reading through fragments of old torn pages, organizing them to figure out which ones go together with others, and in what order, and hopefully with text that's readable and not smudged or stained by water or blood or bat poop. I gather we've brought it all to Lothlorien where there might also be some elf scholars who'd be interested in having a look. Presumably by the 31st at Ken's house we'll have some preliminary results from Mark to act on, and my advice is that we take the position that we're reading through everything slowly and carefully so that it will be a gift that keeps on giving for a long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Traas, Mark Thomas

Jul 16, 2021, 1:47 PM

Hey, gang,

The Moria expedition went well. The party found the Old Dwarven Road and encountered 3 dwarves heading back from Moria with advice on what to watch out for inside (don’t go at night, bats fly at night through the corridors and a troll wanders in at night). They found Durin’s Stone at the Mirrormere and then made their way to Durin’s Bridge (see attached map). There, as they were preparing to rope across the abyss, they were attacked by eight Black Pit Spiders. Celebros lit off a massive fireball to send two spiders smoking down the abyss, but it also torched the ropes being set up to cross the abyss! Fortunately, Melody’s Rope of Climbing survived the inferno after getting 90% scorched. From there the party, crossed the abyss and into the Chamber of Records (Marzabul) where Balin’s Tomb lies. There, Theo scooped up the loose papers (aged, some tattered) still scattered about the floor. From there, they wanted to enter the 21st Hall, but decided against it after detecting Wallcrawler Orcs hanging around (literally) in the room.

At your service,

Mark
Moria 3.jpg
Moria 3.jpg (119.51 KiB) Viewed 2953 times