7 - Rhosgobel, Dol Guldur

Descriptions, maps, songs, treasure and written accounts of our sessions
Jon

7 - Rhosgobel, Dol Guldur

Post by Jon »

Marchwarden Haldir :

“Greetings from my King! You are to meet The Brown Wizard at his residence in Rhosgobel, who will be expecting you. My King wishes to convey that he shares the Wizard’s concerns about what may remain at Dol Guldur (“The Hill of Sorcery”, but is known to our kin in Sindarin as Dol Dhannen, "The Hill of Ruin”). The Hill is now nothing but toppled ruins and open pits with a foul air about it. It may be possible that something, some being, some relic, some curse or some root of evil remains there, even after Our Lady and our kin destroyed and cleansed The Hill and surrounding forest during the War.

Fare thee well, Questars. Our kin are already singing songs celebrating the final fall of the Necromancer’s evil Jailor who inflicted wicked harm on many of our kin, We share our gratitude for your noble, yet dangerous, deed. Until we met again….” ] and Haldir departs towards Lothlorien if no one has any questions.

Radagast:

The Grey Wizard’s abode is a modest, slightly disheveled wooden dwelling full of free running creatures, a large herbalist lab, stacks of books and scrolls, nooks where he cooks and sleeps.

Oh, my friends… troubles here, troubles there, and more troubles and… (*glint of the eye*) hidden troubles. Heh, heh, more about that in a moment, heh heh.

(*grumble*) The Heart of Mirkwood is becoming infested with ranging spiders, and Southern Mirkwood is even more dangerous, full of unknown hazards. The Tarn and the Narrows of the Forest are safe for now, but I just got word of two fishing boats missing on the deep waters of the Tarn and there are rumors of a water serpent in the Tarn’s depths. I fear It may have been long dormant in the deep waters until it was disturbed.

What concerns us NOW is Dol Guldur, a Hill with a long history of ill repute, its evil tenants causing much grief to the Firstborn. The King of the Wood and I both sense some presence of evil remaining there. Since the War, none of his kin chose to go there, leaving it to decay. Recently, though, it has become increasingly dangerous to travel near the Hill or in the surrounding Forest. The foolish few that travel near there often do not return.

The Southern Woods are too dangerous to try to travel through towards the Hill. During his time, the Necromancer cut through the forest and built wide dirt roads for his Armies to march from the Hill westward towards the Elven Woods and the Ford. But if you travel these still grassy roads, you will easily be seen by hidden eyes in the adjacent woods and ambushed.

It’s better to travel down the East Nether Vales, bypass the grass road and then take a more (*ahem*) discrete eastward path 10 miles (where there are few Fell beings) that leads directly to the east slope of the Hill

Ah… but… oh… it’s not an easy path to find, much less follow, ‘tis my own way, you know, so I offer you my guide… (Rainbow spirit bird)

Ah… but, what are we looking for, after all? Hmm, hmm, hmm, indeed! You know, it’s one of those things that we don’t know what we don’t know (heh, heh, think about that one). It has since been many seasons since I last trekked there. Over time since the War, it has changed. Fell beings are attracted to it. The Hill and slopes are bare, where nothing green grows, just dark disfigured trees here and there. Up top, what was once a small citadel is reduced to its foundation and open pits. Pits to the Necromancer’s dungeons where his Jailor once dwelled… Oh! Hmmm… ahhh… Mithrandir… Mithriander… why didn’t I think of this before?

"Gostador!". Gostador the secret dungeon in which the Necromancer recovered from his defeat at the end of an Age long past, and where he began to plot and execute devious plans for his next conquest. Perhaps it does not exist, perhaps it does, who can say? Ah… Mirthandir… Mirthrandir’s stories are chilling enough without me repeating them. (*serious look*) Beware, for there may be things beyond your means to deal with.